Welcome to Education and Culture Link

Rabu, 11 Mei 2011

Expressions of Certainty and Uncertainty


ASKING FOR CERTAINTY AND UNCERTAINTY



Learning objectives
In this unit, you are expected to able to:
  • Express the expressions of Certainty and Uncertainty fluently
  • Respond to doubt
  • Make and demonstrate short dialogues expressing certainty and uncertainty
Certainty is the state of being completely confident or having no doubt about something. However, uncertainty is when nothing is ever decided or sure.
The followings are some questions used to ask for certainty or uncertainty. Please repeat after you teacher!

Are you
Sure
(about it) ?
certain
positive
or
-          Really?
-          Do you think so?
-          Is that definite?

Expressing Certainty
When you are sure that something will or will not happen in the future, use these expressions, you may respond as follows:
or

Yes,
I am (absolutely / quite)
sure
certain
possitive
(he will)
definitely.
certainly.
of course.
or
-          It’s confirmed
-          No doubt
-          One hundred percent sure.

 Here is an example of the use of the expressions in the conversation.

Tamrin       :  Hey, don’t you know that we have a school bus now?
Firman       : Are you certain?
Tamrin       : Yes, of course. The headmaster himself told me.



Expressing Uncertainty / Doubt
When you are not sure whether something will or will not happen, use the following expressions.
For example, to the question / statement:
"Will John follow a career in business?" / “I think John will follow a career business”
you may respond as follows. Please repeat after your teacher!

No,
I’m
absolutely sure
quite sure
certain
positive
(he won't.)
definitely not.
certainly not.
of course not.

or

Well,
it's possible
it might be
it might not be
it could happen
I suppose,
I wouldn't like to say for certain.
I'm not sure
I doubt it.
I have my own doubts.
It's doubtful.
It's highly / very unlikely.
it’s impossible.
you never know of course.
no one can know for certain.
I can't tell you for sure.
I don’t know yet.

Example:

Mini      :  I heard, our classroom will be renovated in the next view days.
Nur       : Are you sure?
Mini      : Well, I can’t tell you for sure. I think we should ask our teacher.

Responding to Expressions of Uncertainty/Doubt
When your friend tells you his/her doubt, you can use the following expressions for the responses. Repeat after your teacher!
-          Don’t worry.
-          Take it easy.
-          Don’t take things so seriously.
-          There’s no need to be doubted.
-          Doubt isn’t going to do anything.
-          Just feel sure of yourself.
-          You don’t need to be doubtful.

 Example:
Jaidun  :  I hope your brother will pass the National Exam.
Rini     :  I hope so, but I doubt it. He was absent from school for more than a month because of  
   his illness.
Jaidun  : Take it easy. I think teachers can consider it wisely, because he is a diligent   student.
 
Exercise 1
Read the conversation below then answer the questions that follow!

Jalal     :  What do you think we should give Arni as her birthday present?
Rusli    : A doll, I think
Jalal     : Are you sure?
Rusli    : Yes, certainly. As far as I know, she likes doll.
Jalal     : Well, it is possible I suppose, but I doubt it.
Rusli    : So, what do you think?
Jalal     : Why don’t we buy her a wristwatch?
Rusli    : I don’t think so. It’s too expensive.
Jalal     : You are right, but we can collect the money.
Rusli    : Still, I doubt it. I’m broke now. I don’t think I can get enough money within this week.
Jalal     : Well, doubt isn’t going to do anything. I can lend you the money if you want.
Rusli    : Really?
Jalal     : Certainly.
Rusli    : Thank you very much.
Jalal     : Don’t mention it.

Questions:

1.      What does Rusli suggest to buy for Arni’s birthday present?
2.      Why does  Rusli doubt that he can’t afford to collect the money?
3.      What will Rusli and Jalal buy for Arni’s birthday present?
4.      “You are right, but we can collect the money.” What does the underlined word refer to?

1 komentar:

  1. t will Rusli and Jalal buy for Arni’s birthday present?
    4. “You are right, but we can collect the money.

    BalasHapus

Please leave your comments here